Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Conceptualizations And Design Innovations

This post is a way to show how my design came to be the way it is. I have mentioned a few things and promised drawings in earlier posts, and I am now taking the time to bridge the gap between what I have posted so far and what comes next. Also, anybody interested in these materials, and this concept, but want to try other designs may find better use for the options that I abandoned for various reasons.

This is the very first sketch I did when I first started thinking about wine bottles. Originally, I thought that I was going to have to cut the bottles with a saw of some sort, and I planned on drilling holes in the sides to run string through (which would be anchored by a large piece of dowel). This look is wonderfully clean, but after going at the first bottle with a dremel for about half an hour and getting nowhere it wasn't particularly feasible (for my needs) to prepare bottles so slowly. And I was turned on to the method described in a previous post, which is infinitely simpler.
These next three are actually from the same piece of paper, but they were so spread out that it would have been impossible to discern what they were of, at the limited size. And these are particularly technical, showing what my next, more developed farm would look like. I still was planning on using drilled holes here, but otherwise they show what I was planning to do for the reservoir. I thought a PVC reservoir would look awful in the room where I had planned on putting this farm, so I designed a box, which initially I intended to line with plastic. Soon thereafter, I amplified my attempts at organic construction, and thought possibly latex waterproofing may work. In the end, I think using the bottles works better for my needs, but I have altered construction of the towers quite a bit.


Another reservoir model mock-up. This time with the tying method of hanging.
This was a VERY rough sketch of an idea my mom bounced off me for a framing system rather than tying. It would use dowels going across from the right side support to the left side support. At first we thought just one, but realized the water would just drip on and weaken the wood, or metal. So this is if using two, and slinging the bottle between them to make something of a Y. Align Left

No comments:

Post a Comment