Friday, July 30, 2010

My Newest WindowFarm

After a couple of weeks busy with work, and a friend bringing some long sought after jumbo wine bottles, I was finally able to take a crack at starting my next windowfarm. Primarily, this update serves to (as of now): enlarge reservoir volume, raise utility of bottles (plants up top), conserve space (it is a little shorter than the last), and better the aesthetic.
More or less using the same design, this farm uses three different sized bottles. The top module are big (approx. 2 L) bottles. In these I am hoping to try a DWC (Deep Water Culture) method, I hope that the drainage and refilling of the bottles will allow sufficient moisture, nutrients, and oxygen to the roots of the plants. These have 4" net pots so I am hoping the increased amount of medium will hold extra moisture too. Under that are standard sized wine bottles (3" net pots). Following that are beer bottles (2"net pots). And the last is a single large wine bottle to funnel the water more neatly into the bottom reservoir (and it has a 4"net pot too).
I haven't planted anything as of yet. But I do have strawberries waiting for a nice watery home. And I have some seedling broccoli coming up. And jalapeƱo peppers germinating. So it will be functional (and hopefully flourishing) very soon.
Here are some pictures:


No comments:

Post a Comment