Friday, January 28, 2011

Penta-Tower in Full Swing

  So the school I am doing my student teaching at had a snow-day yesterday, but my biological clock being lined up with that schedule... I was able to get a lot done, including transplanting everything that was ready/ that I wanted into my newly functioning Penta-Tower!  I finally got it to work a couple of days ago, and had left it pumping since, to make sure it wasn't a fluke, and after three days it seemed consistent enough to plant in.  I filled 23 out of the 25 spots in the tower, because the two plants I had remaining are ones that I will likely need a little more space than the two remaining open planting sites.  I have taken a picture of each tier, though it may be difficult to see the plants, it is impossible to get around the sides and back of the tower.  So here are the pictures, I will list plants in each tier in clockwise starting with the back center plant (sorry they are crooked):

 Pea, [empty], Lettuce, Lettuce, Lettuce

Pea, Broccoli Rapini, Purple Basil, Basil, Basil

[empty], Broccoli, Edamame, Pencil Pod Bean, Pencil Pod Bean

Red Pepper, Eggplant, Red Pepper, Eggplant, Yellow Pepper

Armenian Burpless Cucumber, Roma Tomato, Bean Tavera, 
Lettuce, Edamame

And this is my portable tower, now a little more reliable and in full swing.
Lettuce
Straight Eight Cucumber
Basil

For more regular plantings updates, please visit myFolia.  
Namaste, and Keep Farmin'.

2 comments:

  1. Nice James!! It does look a little cramped in that space. Hopefully the mylar does a good job of reflecting all the light.

    Soon you will have your own produce department in your window!

    Love it!!! Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! Haha, I hope! If you think it looks cramped in these pictures, just wait for my updates, I have added 18 drip planter sites in two more towers just to the left of this one. And the plants are already much larger (I had to train one of my bean plants that was front and center into a loop so that it can fit under the 'ceiling'). I am thinking of adding some more light though, because it does seem like some plants are getting stretchy. For the time being it will likely be a five bulb 'medusa' lamp with some CFLs. Or I might fashion an LED panel if I am motivated enough over February break in a couple of weeks. For the time being I have started covering the bottles with mylar though, so that the dark glass doesn't absorb too much light.

    AND, I have no idea where I am going to put it, but... I made another fog culture system, 12 planter sites, out of a rubbermade tote I had sitting around.

    ReplyDelete