Thursday, February 24, 2011

DWC Updates

You may remember my orange tree.  My, look how she has grown!

Ever since picking up my three inch hole saw, I have been a little out of control making new systems.  While this is certainly not the first, I think it is a nice little system.  I made this for my mother, who has been getting really into hydroponics since I recruited my parents to watch over my first vertical systems in the fall.  We all loved the pesto made from the hydroponic basil, so she planted some basil plants, and they were getting to the point where they needed an upgrade.  So this is what I threw together.  Standard five gallon bucket.  Four three-inch holes for net pots cut into the lid (three have basil, one has a pepper).  One 1 1/2" hole for filling, and checking the water level.  A two outlet aquarium pump feeding two bar air stones hangs on the handle.  The airline tube is attached to check valves which are rigidly mounted by airline attaching on the opposing side of the lid.  I have also weighed down the air stones with a couple of steel nuts.


 In terms of Windowfarms, this system could easily be outfitted as a reservoir for a vertical system by just drilling a hole in the top for a lift tube, and assembling a pump mechanism, such as the Low water level Pulser Pump.  With moving water, you could get away with a single air stone, using the second outlet for the lift tube.

No comments:

Post a Comment